Yesterday was my birthday. The day that marked my last year into a whole new decade, and to be honest, I don’t feel any different… at least not until I break a bone or need to start buying Depends because I’m only as young as I feel, right?
I started the celebration last Thursday up until last night, a six-day birthday bash surrounded by the most amazing of friends.
Now let’s re-evaluate the birthday wish list I posted a month ago:
• A piece of chocolate cake. – I had two, so double Check!
• Phone calls, emails, regular mail, comments and/or a visit to congratulate me and to tell me how super-awesome I am. – Check!
Birthday celebration at this place. Birthday celebration at THIS awesome place, so check!
• Pizza at Andiamo. Pizza at Las Olas Blvd in Fort Lauderdale – Check!
• A bottle of Killian’s / Bass or a Long Island at Frankie’s. – Check!
• Of course, there is one thing that I’ve been wanting for months and it is…… (Drum roll please)…… a pimpin’ ride. – Money to buy the pimpin’ ride I want? Check!
Wow! I can’t complaint! Turns out that this birthday was just as good, if not better, than any other birthday thanks to my friends who bought me booze and gifts and surrounded me with love.
One interesting thing I observed about the last six days was that most of the people in attendance were not people I’ve celebrated my birthday with before. Many of the friends who I’ve considered to be my core, my second family were not able to attend because of moves, babies, previously scheduled trips and other life events. I was sad that those people weren’t with me as they once were, but it also makes me feel extremely blessed that so many really wonderful, interesting and dynamic people continue to travel into my life.
I am overwhelmed by my life: thrilled, empowered, uplifted, and speechless by its hugeness. I know God is driving, and he knows exactly what he’s doing. I don’t even want to see the map.
I’m a lucky girl. And so, so thankful.